Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The winds they were a howlin'


We had a hell of a storm roll through the Lorton/Pohick Bay/Mason Neck area last night. We lost power about 11 p.m., and it hadn't come back -- except for about 20 minutes around 6:30 a.m. -- when I left for work today around 11 a.m. Thank God I have a fan that runs on D batteries, or I might never have gotten any sleep.

Anyway, around 1ish in the morning, I woke up Ed. We were hearing noises (that whole freight train thing came to mind) we'd never heard in the house before, and the whole house seemed to be shaking.

This morning when I walked the yard, the damage to our trees and the surrounding yards could be seen pretty plainly. Lots of fallen branches and limbs, and at least one tree down -- the only thing keeping it from hitting the ground were the power lines it was leaning on.

The utility workers fixing the power in the area said it was a tornado. I don't doubt them. Winds at Reagan National Aiport were clocked at 74 mph.

One of the scariest nights I can remember. I don't want to go through that again anytime soon.

No comments: