Monday, March 10, 2008

Maybe I panicked too soon ...

... Well, my Cubs are actually playing pretty well right now, though you wouldn't know it by their 5-7 record.

But they did beat up the Royals 13-1 yesterday. Ryan Dempster is looking good as he makes the move back to starter from closer. And it's too bad Daryle Ward doesn't play very good defense because the guy is hitting a ton. He was 4-for-4 yesterday and is hitting .692 this spring.

I had been worried because a slew of injuries had suddenly taken down guys like Alfonso Soriano, Mark DeRosa, Aramis Ramirez and Felix Pie. But all those guys are back in the lineup, or will be shortly. And the pitching staff is coming together nicely.

I still say the Cubs should get Brian Roberts from the Orioles, but DeRosa would become a super-utility guy and his at-bats would suffer. I really like both players. I'm sure the Cubs can make it work if it happens.

About the only thing Lou Piniella has to worry about now is what to do with Jason Marquis if he doesn't make the starting five. Rumors have had him going to the Tigers and Red Sox, but who knows? The guy does carry a little bit of baggage (a HUGE ego).

So, with opening day a little more than 21 days away, things are looking good. I'm feeling as good about this team as I have in a LONG time -- thus, the tattoo. My neighbor said something to the effect of "they haven't won the World Series. Now you've jinxed them." Whatever Mary.

No matter what happens this season, I'm a Cub fan for life. And with the tattoo, the afterlife too.

No comments: