Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Brett Favre retires

Favre.

That's all you had so say in our house. Ed and I would just yell out "FAVRE" everytime his name was mentioned on TV. And now he's gone.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback called it quits Wednesday after 17 years. I'll miss him, but I won't miss the many times he beat my beloved Chicago Bears. He stuck more daggers in my heart than just about anybody in the NFL. When the Bears did beat Favre, I considered it quite an accomplishment.

At least Favre got to go out on top, with a Super Bowl victory in his pocket, and on his own terms.

And while I hate the Packers, I despise the Minnesota Viqueens -- sorry, Vikings -- even more.

It's kind of funny -- Favre played 16 years in Green Bay after being drafted by the Atlanta Falcons (and don't you just know they regret ever trading him away. Hello, Michael Vick?). In that same period, the Bears went through 21 different starting QBs. TWENTY-ONE!!

Oh well. You live, you learn, you move on. As the Packers will now do with one Aaron Rodgers. Umm, good luck with that Green Bay.

And I'm sure John Madden's having a heart attack right about now too.

No comments: