Monday, July 16, 2007

We are the champions -- again!

Well, my USA TODAY softball team won the championship of the Metropolitan Media Softball League for the second consecutive year this weekend.

We entered as the No. 8 seed and rolled through our competition, beating CNN 11-7 in the championship game. We went 5-0 in the tournament, avenging all of our regular-season losses in the process (AP, Team Video, Comcast SportsNet, AOL -- twice -- and CNN). It was a great weekend, winning the title after a 10-6 regular-season, and when I think many of the other teams thought we were vulnerable, especially after we won last year as the No. 1 seed.

I did get hurt -- what else is new? In the fifth inning while running the bases, as I headed into third base I pulled my right hamstring. I was so upset, especially because I had already had 2 hits and 2 RBI. But I knew whoever I put in there would do just fine, and I was right.

CNN made it close, scoring twice in the seventh inning, and had the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate. But a bounce-back to the pitcher ended it, and we took back-to-back titles, only the third team in MMSL history to do that.

So my softball season is officially over, as I go into surgery for the tumor on my thumb tomorrow (Ed and I named him Timmy). Timmy, it was nice knowing you for the past two years. Parting is such sweet sorrow -- NOT!

I'll be raring to go for the Gay World Series in Phoenix in October. Can't wait.

No comments: