Friday, April 13, 2007

Gym update

With my schedule returning to "normal" -- normal being back to nights, which I really hate -- I've been able to get back in the gym.

I'm not a big fan of working out with a lot of people around, so when I'm able to go -- usually at 10 or 11 a.m. -- it's perfect because there aren't a lot of people around and you are able to use the equipment as you please. I've officially lost 20 pounds, as I now weigh 169 after starting this process back in January at 189. Still a few more pounds and some toning to go.

The only problem is this skin condition I have, actinic keratosis, which seems to get irritated when I sweat. It's a pre-cancer skin condition caused by my years tanning as a lifeguard, starting when I was about 20 years old. I'm being treated by a dermotologist, but the clobetasol cream I'm using on my arms is having little effect.

And don't worry about that "pre-cancer" term. In severe, untreated cases it can turn into squamous cell carcinoma (about 1%). But I've had this for years, I've been seeing a doctor for years, and I'm determined to get this under control.

More updates to come ...

No comments: