Saturday, January 5, 2008

Living and loathing in Washington, D.C.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Washington Redskins? No, well, here goes:

I REALLY, REALLY HATE THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS.

Lord help us today if they beat the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC wild-card playoff game. After they barely made the playoffs last week, people I work with and a certain friend who lives across the street were already planning Super Bowl parties.

Give me a fricking break.

OK, so they might be the "feel-good" story of the postseason, what with the murder of safety Sean Taylor and all. But just because they've won four in a row with a backup quarterback who's on the run of his life, I wouldn't start making plans for the Arizona desert just yet. Todd Collins is going to come crashing down to earth one of these days, and hopefully, today's that day.

The local TV stations have had nothing but "Battle in Seattle" stories all week. Election news? What's that?

This hatred isn't just a passing fancy either. While I've lived in the Washington, D.C. area since 1991, I've hated the Redskins for as long as I can remember. And it's because of their fans (a fraternity buddy of mine and the neighbor across the street would be best friends). Totally without a sense of reality where the team is concerned. If you aren't a Redskins fan around here, you are scorned -- people act as if you just asked for their first born. And some would give away their first born if it meant a Redskins victory.

Joe Gibbs? Your time has come and gone my man. Your second coming has been no salvation. But if you guys win today, you are probably assured of another season or two by little owner Danny Snyder.

And, their name is racist. Having some Cherokee blood running through my veins, I can say that.

Many of you are probably saying that these are rants of a bitter Chicago Bears fan. Who watched as his team got spanked by the Redskins in early December. Well, sure, but I'm not bitter. I'm just a fan of any team who plays the Redskins.

But here's a final caveat -- if the Redskins do win today, I can think of no better scenario than to see them go down to Dallas and get whupped by the Cowboys. All these Redskins, especially my neighbor, going into a major depression/funk.

Now THAT would be fun to watch. ... Update after the game.

1 comment: