Monday, July 28, 2008

Softball season ends -- maybe

Well, this weekend was the official end of my softball season. Probably. Maybe. Possibly.

My work team's season ended in early July. My gay softball team Nitro ended the season as the B Division champions of the Chesapeake and Potomac Softball league (CAPS), but we're not going to the World Series in Seattle at the end of August. There were too many people who couldn't go, so we just decided to let the Disturbance, which won the B Division at the World Series a couple of years ago, go in our stead.

The season-ending party was held at Nellies Sports Bar in Washington. Ed and I had never been there before, but we had a great time. It's just too bad we live so far away because we'd definitely go there more often if we could.

Anyway, another CAPS team, Cobalt, has asked me to go to Seattle to play with them. Ed and I have talked about it a bit, and while I think he'd rather I didn't go, I think he's OK with it. Who knows how many more World Series I'll be going to? I know next year's Series is in Milwaukee (OK, I like Milwaukee, but how in the world did Milwaukee outbid Chicago???) so there's a chance I could end up going there. So if I can swing the days off and finagle a plane ticket (we have a plan for that too), then I'm off for the Great Northwest.

Ed and I have talked a lot lately about my retirement, which is coming sooner than I'd like to admit. I'll definitely play next year for work and probably a last season with a gay team (Nitro? Capitol Punishment? Cobalt?) before I call it quits. Ed has put up with a lot of softball over the past almost 17 years, and it's time I started giving some of that back to him.

An interesting next few days and weeks are on the way.

No comments: