Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Washington Nationals

Ed and I really aren't very happy with this so-called Major League Baseball team. They just completed a horrible 1-6 homestand and seem to have lost their will. They were swept four games by the San Francisco Giants for gosh sakes.

Friday night, we went to Nationals Park to see what we thought was going to be a major league game against the Giants. It was anything but. The Nats had no spark, no energy, and by the bottom of the third inning the Giants already led 8-0. It was at that point that we started getting a little pissed off.

Manager Manny Acta sent pitcher Tim Redding up to pinch-hit for starting pitcher Jason Bergmann, thereby raising the white flag, and it was only the third inning. They had already conceded the game. We left in the fifth inning, along with about half the stadium. Think of the revenue that was lost, and could be lost if this kind of performance continues.

I wrote an email to the Nationals voicing my displeasure, but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. I told them that if this is what we can expect, then maybe we won't be renewing our season ticket package next year. We spend good money to go out and have what we hope will be a good time, despite the $7.50 beer, $8 hamburgers and $6 hot dogs -- and now the $4 per gallon gas to get there. I think we just like the atmosphere.

But I can spend a whole lot less money and enjoy the atmosphere at home if this is what we have to look forward too. It'll be interesting to see if I get a response from the Nationals. I'll post if I do ...

No comments: