Monday, February 18, 2008

Could this be THE year?

I've been laying low since the unofficial start of spring training, trying to temper my enthusiasm for what I believe is going to be a magical season on the North Side of Chicago.

The Cubs seem to have all the ingredients for a World Series run -- Fukudome. Soriano. Ramirez. Lee. DeRosa. Theriot. Zambrano. Lilly. Wood. Maybe Brian Roberts. Another season under manager Lou Piniella (at top).

And if they did win, it would break a 100-year drought. Which also means I'm probably setting myself up for another dose of huge disappointment. To wit:

*1969: I was 9 the first time the Cubs broke my heart. Eight-game lead on the Mets in August, then the black cat at Shea Stadium. Miracle Mets go on to win the World Series.
*1984: Cubs take 2-0 lead on Padres in NLCS, winning both games at home. Cubs fly to San Diego, Steve Garvey blasts one, a ball goes through Leon Durham's legs and the Cubs are done. I'll never forgive then-Commissioner Peter Ueberroth for giving the Padres the home-field advantage in that series. Because there were no lights at Wrigley Field, television ratings would suffer if there weren't more games on in primetime. He even threatened to play the games at Comiskey Park or in of all places, St. Louis.
*1989: The Will Clark vs. Mark Grace series. I was sitting on the first-base line at Wrigley in Game 1 -- my first ever playoff game -- when Clark hit the grand slam off Greg Maddux. I was crushed. Great series, even though the Cubs lost in five games.
1998: I was also in attendance for Game 3 against the Braves, who won 6-2 to sweep the NL Division Series. I'll always remember this game because I flew in and met my sister Cheryl and her girlfriend Val at the game. I was supposed to stay at my buddy KC's house in Waukegan, but decided to drive back to Des Moines with Cheryl that night, thinking I could just call AirTran and pay a couple of bucks to change my ticket. Oh no. We ended up staying overnight in the Quad Cities area and I had to fly out of there the next morning. For like twice the original cost of the ticket. And I had to pay the hotel overnight. Sherry snored. It was a long night.
2003: Five outs from the World Series. Steve Bartman. Alex Gonzalez. My world crumbles. Marlins end up beating Yankees in World Series.
2007: Put Brewers in their place before folding like a tent against the Diamondbacks in the NLDS.
*2008: Who are the idiots that continue to keep my all-time Cub favorite Ron Santo out of the Hall of Fame? Do this man justice while he can still enjoy it.

So there you have it.

I do feel differently this year though. There's just something different in the air as the first crack of the bat approaches.

It's called hope. And faith. Or maybe I'm just being sucked in again.

It appears I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments: